Canyon de Chelly is an important physical and cultural monument. Five million years of geological uplift and water erosion created remarkable sharp cliffs and fertile lands.
Pueblo settlers initially settled to grow crops and raise families, but later used caves (the “white house ruins” can be seen in these photos) for protection. Pueblo settlers left the area about 1300. Eventually, the Navajo Nation moved into the area and inhabit it to this day.
On our hike in the canyon we had along a wonderful and smart companion, a dog who met us at the beginning, led us the whole way, and waited for her reward at the end of the trail. This was obviously a routine she repeated many times a day to survive. In our case, the reward was a hotdog at the end of the hike.